Monday, October 19, 2020

Just imagine this ...

 Amazing things are happening. At the beginning of the month, I had labs completed. The labs came back with some values that were a bit off--my potassium and my Red Blood Cell counts. My potassium had tanked to 3.5, at the normal range, and my RBC were low and out of range. This is problematic. My oncologist has not responded back to the labs and I have asked my primary to look into them and tell me what is going on. What is going on with my potassium and why it is so low when I supplement with an incredibly high dose? Too, why did I become anemic so? Well, still need to find out about them both, but my letrozole will add to the issues of my gut and the intrinsic factor for anemia. I have been feeling so terribly poor and a few weeks ago, I had had a difficult time at work. So, I got in tough with the manager of the clinic, explained all of this to him and requested for my provider to be changed: a transfer of care. I have had so many difficulties at this clinic and I am getting quite frustrated with them. I do not want to go to another clinic and receive far worse care. According to their statements at the clinic, they are the leaders in oncology and can care for us. But, for some reason, the care comes when the patient is unaware of what is going on. I have medically distanced myself so that they can just keep their "care" and to move on to learn and study what is going on with my body. Now? I have doubled my iron intake and my folate to accommodate the changes that I am experiencing. Anemia, low RBC, has really been tearing me up. I have been experiencing light-headedness and fatigue. There are a lot of other side effects that are very serious. But for the most part, this is quite the trouble. Wondering how I am going to work long shifts will be my concern. 


Now? the Naturopath. Do I email him to let him know what is going on or do I just let it go and look for another provider? I am hesitant because I have been with this meathead for six years, but the last year has been filled with a lot of anxiety and stress. COVID keeps us all away from our providers, but even more so away from quality care. There is an provider in this area and just to the other side of town. It would be nothing to see that person; but, do I want to change. I suppose the time will come when I will know definitively. 


I have a new ENT now. This man is something else. Throughout the visit, he continued to put his hand on my knee. I think it was part of reassuring me of the care that he was going to take care of me. He looked in my ears and was able to determine that I have a-topic dermatitis and was given ointment to help with it. This has been itchy for so long and I have had a discharge from my ears that has been slimy and gritty. Welcome to healthcare! So, he said that my ears may actually have neuropathy and that he wanted to inject me to help with pain relief. So, I agreed. And this is the last time I will have this done. The nerves that innervate my eyelid are sore. All this effort to help me and to have changes that come from chemotherapy is just a bit over the top. I am just frustrated because of all the damage done by chemotherapy that providers either do not understand or are not willing to discuss them with you because of the possibility of not understanding. Yes, many patients are not going to understand the whole aspect of what is going on. Patients also may walk away from healthcare altogether and suffer even more. There is a lot to discuss with any patient and it is our job to be sure to understand. When a patient does not want to learn, then the decisions must be made for them. It is part of care. I know that this is a difficult one for any provider. But, it is important to inform the patient. Important!


A lot is going on. I will keep you posted. Who will be my new provider? 



No comments:

Post a Comment