Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Important things

 Yesterday morning, I made a call that will be life changing. I had contacted the Chief Medical Officer's (CMO) office for the Regional Cancer System. I have used both avenues and have exhausted my options and now I have called their office to file a complaint, ask for a new provider or be discharged from the clinic. I was able to express my deepest concerns and yes! used the most difficult words of all--neglect. 


For the last couple of years, since Doctor told me that he was a survivor, I have had a very strange relationship with him. The Doctor-Patient encounter is supposed to be sacrosanct. Why isn't it? Why is it that it is an opportunity must arise that the relationship is "less than"? I am less than and I understand that. My station in life will be lesser than the provider's and from there, to be treated differently; however, never with disdain. I want people to know that we are not to be treated as less than and despite what education we may not have, we are to be treated with respect, dignity and honor. If that cannot happen, then these persons need to be removed from their ivory tower and allow things to change. 


Since my rediagnosis in 2014, I have been pushing for more education. I have looked in ever nook and cranny for it. When I was told that I had "slipped through the cracks", it changed me and I would like to say for the better. I have read all sorts of magazines, journal articles, now books and text books so that I can learn. This phone call yesterday morning changed things in me. I want to advocate more for others who have no idea what to expect and to promote health. I have walked in the position of a Breast Cancer Navigator and I push to help others in their walk. I want more. I want different. I want health. 



No comments:

Post a Comment